In most cases, your home is your largest and most valuable investment, so having an ultimate homeowner checklist reminds you of where and when to perform basic maintenance to avoid costly repairs or replacement down the road.
Basic Monthly Maintenance
- Check and change your air conditioning and heating unit filters every 2-to-3 months to increase efficiency and to lessen occurrences of sniffling and sneezing due to impaired ventilation.
- Check your faucets for leaks to avoid water damage.
- Check your two-button GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) outlets to prevent electrical shocks in wet locations, such as your bathroom or kitchen.
- Locate fire extinguishers in an accessible area and discuss fire escape plans with family members.
Biannual and Seasonal Maintenance
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Clean exterior gutters and drainage systems.
- Remove dead shrubs and plants resting against the house to prevent mold and mildew growth. Trim tree branches that rub against your home to protect paint and trim.
- Inspect exterior and interior walls for cracks. If there are cracks in walls, doors that don’t latch or windows that begin to stick, check your foundation. Drywall cracks, if left untended, can result in rot and mold within the walls simply because water leaked in.
- Check and replace lightbulbs, and switch to energy-efficient LED or CFL as you go.
- Keep energy costs down by checking the weather stripping around windows and doors.
- Increase the lifespan of your refrigerator with a thorough coil vacuuming.
- Inspect and clean your fireplace chimney.
- Clean your hot tub, pool and spa filters.
- Service your air conditioning and heating systems to avoid problems and save money.
Following a simple home maintenance schedule keeps things simple and easily achievable.
Keep Your House Clean in Just Minutes a Day
Maintaining a clean and healthy interior does not mean hours of scrubbing once or twice a month. With a little planning, your house stays house neat and clean in under 30 minutes a day. Here are a few tips:
- Clear the dishes out of your sink, put them in the dishwasher and wipe the sink with a sponge
- Wipe down the countertops and stove
- Wipe up problem spots on the floor, such as spills and sticky spots, which attract dirt and look more noticeable
- Fold or hang the dish towels
- Wipe out the sink
- Clean splatters off mirror
- Wipe toilet seat and rim
- Swoosh toilet bow with brush
- Squeegee shower door
- Spray shower and curtain liner
- Make your bed
- Fold or hang clothes and put your jewelry away
- Straighten your night table surface
- Tidy up the sofa cushions and fluff the pillows
- Pick up crumbs with your handheld vacuum
- Wipe tables and cabinets where you see fingerprints
- Remove clutter from the coffee table, such as books and magazines
- Put away major clutter such as remotes, video games or toys
This daily 30-minute once-over makes your weekly maintenance chores of vacuuming, dusting and washing floors so much easier and faster. When you return to your home, you’ll enjoy entering a neat and organized home where you can put your feet up, relax and admire the fruits of minimal effort and maximum returns.
Contact us and let us help you find your next home in Metro Denver